Guides for Authors
Consult Modern Language Association (MLA) Handbook 9thedition. Examples below are from this edition:
- For references inside the article, use parenthetical citations.
- Work by less than three authors: (Dorris and Erdrich 23)
- Work by three or more authors: (Burdick et al. 45)
- Author with more than one work: (Jacobs, The Pleasures [short title] 23)
- Work published online: (Chan)
Make sure to include full bibliographic information for each work cited entry, paying special attention to punctuation:
- Book by less than 3 authors: Jacobs, Alan. The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction. Oxford UP, 2011.
- Book by 3 or more authors: Burdick, Anne, et al. Digital Humanities. MIT P, 2012.
- Edited book by less than 3 editors: Holland, Merlin, and Rupert Hart-Davis, editors. The Complete Letters of Oscar Wilde. Henry Holt, 2000.
- Edited book by 3 or more editors: Baron, Sabrina Alcorn, et al., editors. Agent of Change: Print Culture Studies after Elizabeth L. Eisenstein. U of Massachusetts P/Center for the Book, Library of Congress, 2007.