Cinema is simply one of the most dynamic and complex cultural, economic and industrial art forms in the world. Uniquely situated in the “film” city of Cairo, the AUC Film Program integrates formal film production training with the study of the historical, aesthetic and theoretical foundations of the medium. In this combined academic and professional context, the B.A. in Film provides a balanced consideration of the international, regional and local elements of cinema.
The Film curriculum emphasizes the following areas:
- The development of cinema as an art form
- The impact of cinema on society and culture
- The historical, thematic and aesthetic tendencies within Egyptian and Arab cinema
- A practical background and theoretical appreciation of the art of film making
- Basic formal techniques of film production
- The relationship between cinema and today’s media-saturated global public sphere